We are so fortunate that we have been awarded the Washington Reading Corps grant at Sifton for next year. The position starts August 16, 2017 - July 31, 2018. Here's a little information about the position:
What will WRC members do at Sifton?
- support our classroom teachers with 'yellow zone' readers at least 4 times a week during reading WIN time.
- work one on one and/or in small groups with students to boost their phonics, phonemic awareness, fluency, reading strategies and/or word work.
- work closely with staff to provide targeted lessons based on classroom and small group assessments and vary instructional strategies based on student need and understanding.
- plan and organize all of the pre-school story time with interactive songs, games, reading strategies art projects and parent involvement.
- attend professional development opportunities offered to staff – especially when related to literacy.
- also attend literacy related school activities as well as any other PTO sponsored fun activities that promote fun and community.
- attend all AmeriCorps training and attend the SERVES Conference in Yakima.
What do WRC members receive for their service?
- Living stipend of $1,202.86 per month provided by WSC (before taxes)
- Training and experience
- Subsidized childcare provided by GAP Solutions Inc. (if qualified)
- Health Insurance (member only and only if no other health insurance coverage)
- Student loan forbearance (on qualifying loans)
- $5,815 Education Award provided by National Service Trust (upon successful completion of 10.5 month term of service and 1,700 hours of service)