At Evergreen Public Schools we believe that true learning is a dynamic and creative process, where learners are supported to make meaning for themselves through engaging experiences that involve exploration and reflection. We are committed to facilitating high levels of teaching and learning that exceed standards and center on the unique needs of the students and adults in our community. Our educational plan is based on high expectations and consistent standards of excellence. It is designed to build a foundation in academic subjects and digital literacies through the implementation of rigorous, accessible, and engaging experiences.
EPS Essentials of Personalized Learning
Our world is rapidly changing as a result of access to information and innovation. What we have learned about brain theory and pedagogy drive us to reevaluate what we can offer our students in preparation. Ultimately we want our students to become strategic, collaborative learning partners, who are innovative and competitive in a global community. Therefore we strive to create an environment in which students are at the center of their own learning and are intimately involved in defining the learning path. A place where:
- students are empowered to develop a growth mindset, cultivate habits of work, and engage in rich reflective practice.
- students are offered multiple pathways to achieve personal and academic goals.
- students are afforded flexibility of time, space and resources to explore learning at a deeper level.
- teachers facilitate informed decision-making and advocacy for self and others.
- teachers challenge students to take risks, unleash their curiosity, and exercise their critical and creative minds.
- assessment is learning and students are assessed on evidence of mastery of learning targets.
- cultural and community connections are leveraged to engage learners in authentic experiences that have personal meaning and community impact.
It is this type of personalized learning environment that students deserve to experience in Evergreen Public Schools.
How We Define Personalized Learning
Personalized learning, as defined by the International Association for K12 Online Learning (iNACOL), is “tailoring learning for each student’s strengths, needs, and interests - including enabling student voice and choice in what, how, when, and where they learn - to provide flexibility and support to ensure mastery of the highest standards possible.”
For Evergreen students in a personalized environment, the following elements are essential ways of doing business:
- Student Agency
- Access to Learning
- Four Cs - Communication, Collaboration, Critical Thinking, Creativity
- Measures of Individual Proficiency
- Flexible Learning Environments
- Personal Learning Profiles
- Community and Cultural Resources