Skip to main content

Staff
Parents
Resources

EvergreenPS.org > Feedback

Feedback

Modify settings and columns
NewUse SHIFT+ENTER to open the menu (new window).

View:
EditYour MessageFilterActionFilter
 8/20/2014 9:37 AM
 9/30/2009 3:35 PMRoger Lyngholm
How do you enter an address from the address book into the "to" box when forwarding an e-mail?  When you find a name in the address book, it assumes you want to compose a new message and opens the new message form.
 7/14/2009 7:37 PMTracy JoyTechnology
In regard to the new Schoolwires account access, our family has been attempting the new site to no avail.  We have five user names and five passwords in our home and we have been denied access (on the Skyward sign in page) due to "invalid user name and password".  We understand that this is a new system but we are incredibly frustrated with not being able to access the site.  When trying to contact the district through the schoolwires email address our messages are returned as "undeliverable".  Is there any way that we can receive working or valid access to the site?
 7/9/2009 7:39 AMJune Cobean
I am trying to locate all band teachers in the middle and high schools to issue invitations to marh in the Veterans Parade.  I have accessed several specific school web sites but am unable to determine the name of the person and contact information I need.  When I enter "band", the system gives me an error message.

Do you have any suggestions besides waiting for the school offices to reopen and making phone calls?

Thanks for your help.

June Cobean
 7/7/2009 11:34 AMIsabel DuranMrs Katherin Jackson
I am an artist who has painted your son, I would love to send it to you.  Please allow me this honor.
Thnaks
Artist
 7/6/2009 3:05 PMSandy
Your calendars are all for last year.  When is the first day of school?
 7/6/2009 10:16 AMErika TrautmanCommunity Calendar
I would like to advertise with the Evergreen School District for the two National Christian College Fairs on October 12/13. Can you please let me know what format you would like the information in and by what date?

Erika Trautman

Associate Director of Enrollment

Warner Pacific College

800-804-1510 toll free

503-517-1021 direct

503-517-1352 fax

Advertising request
 7/3/2009 10:58 AMParentWebsite updater
Can you please put the school year begin and end dates, and break dates on the homepage calendar, and update the school hours page to show the new start and stop times for 2009-2010 ?
Site Update / Add Request
 6/22/2009 2:10 PMJanet Jansonwebmaster - middle school athletics update needed
This page needs to be updated:  http://www.evergreenps.org/AboutUs/Athletics/Pages/AthleticsMS.aspx

Beginning 2009-10, Middle Schools will no longer have Gymnastics.  Girls BBall will move to season 3, Volleyball will move to season 2 and Girls Cross Country will be in season 1.

Thanks!
 6/19/2009 6:12 PMLisa RichterSummer Programs
Covington Middle School, in Partnership with the Covington Community School is offering the Summer Comedy Workshop for students entering 8-12 grades.  Students will learn and practice all the skills necessary for building a sketch comedy show from the ground up.  Classes are week days from 1:00 to 4:30 PM at Covington.  Pre-registration required.  The program is free and lunch will be served.  Proceeds from the performances go to benefit Heritage High School's Nichole Sanders Memorial Drama Scholarship.  For registration forms and information email: Rashid.Al-robaee@evergreenps.org
or call (360) 604-6300 until July 1 and then (360) 604-5849
Site Update / Add Request
 6/19/2009 6:06 PMLisa RichterSummer Programs
Covington Middle School, in Partnership with the Covington Community School has programs available for incoming and continuing Covington Students in 6-8th grade.  July 13-24 will focus on Math & Science and July 27 -Aug. 7 on Reading, Writing & the Arts.  Students with a teacher or counselor referral will get priority.  Classes are remedial in nature.  An hour of enrichment activity, in various disciplines will be offered daily as well. Classes are from 10 AM to 2:00 PM, a free lunch is served.  There is no fee but registration is required.  Parents must supply transportation.
For more information call Covington (360) 604-6300 until July 1 and then call (360) 604-5949.  Or email lrichter@egreen.wednet.edu
Site Update / Add Request
 6/14/2009 12:30 PMRocky Baker
Since the staff webpage was redesigned I have not once found the information/sites that I've been seeking without help from another staffer.  Not once.  This never happened to me with the previouse web design.  I don't think it's just me either.  A number of people in my building have advised me to use the old webpage.
 6/12/2009 4:58 PMMike
Cannot find Next year's calendar
 6/11/2009 3:01 PMGary S. SmithTo Whom It May Concern:
As a tax-payer here in WA, it is interesting that, with all the budget problems our schools are experiencing, that schools can afford to shoot off fireworks at graduation time. I was in a business that did fireworks at special events and I know how much they cost. My queston is, unless the fireworks I see and hear in Vancouver are donated, I think it is a great disservice not only to the tax-payers, but it sets a bad example for students who can;t have certain classes due to lack of budget. What's up with this?
Information Request
 6/5/2009 5:01 PMPamela KatzNeed info on all changes to next year.
It recently came to my attention, that the 2009-10 school year is starting before labor day this year.  I wish this information had been passed on to parents before we made reservations for the end of the summer that regretfully cannot be changed.  I also understand that some of the funding for our schools is based on the first five days of attendance.  I hope the district is not short changed due to some unavoidable absences in the first few days of school.

I've also heard from other parents that the hours for the schools are going to be changing to better accomodate bus scheduling.  Is there any public notice on this coming home?  I'd like to be prepared for all of the changes that will be taking place for the 2009-2010 school year as soon as possible so that we can plan our family's life accordingly.

I did see the Student School Calendar that was posted for next year.  Again, I just wish it would have come to our attention sooner so that we wouldn't have made those reservations last year.

I know planning this next year is a very hard challenge for everyone involved.  Thank you for working on curbing the budget and everything that entails.  I for one will always support the schools on any financial voting issues.  A little more taxes to educate our future is a small price to pay.

Thank you for your timely response in letting me know of upcoming changes to the next school year.  I truly do appreciate your time in helping me to figure things out.

Warmly,
Pam Katz

6/3/2009 5:07 PMDerek LaveyWalk for alzheimers
Hi, I am writing to you to ask about your policy on the use of your running tracks during the summer. I represent a non-profit organization called "A Memory Forever". We are just getting our feet off the ground and are wondering if it would be okay to hold a "Walk-a-thon" type event at the running track of Union highschool during the summer. Thank you for your time. Also, if this is not the right place to ask this question, please direct me to the right website.
 6/2/2009 12:19 PMDanial ChowdhryClassroom Overcrowding
Hello. I am an eighth grade student working on a civics based exit project. The topic is classroom overcrowding. Please give the following information if possible:

-The total number of students in the district
-Average amout of students per classroom
-Total amount of classrooms
-Cost to hire a teacher (Per Year)
-Cost to construct a classroom
-Cost to obtain a portable

I'm aware some of this information is difficult/impossible to obtain, but please fill out what you can.

Danial Chowdhry
 5/14/2009 12:20 PMshahna sandersfundrasing
I have 3 kids in Illahee and Shahala. I am trying to locate the correct person to share about our fundraising program. Several teaches have told me this looks great but I have to go through the district. The company is Partylite they just launched there new fundraising program with a 50% profit back to the organization. There is  no min required sales required. I have packets I can bring and show the correct person.
Thank you for your time.
Shahna
 5/12/2009 7:56 AMCarol MillerSchedule Question
My family is moving this summer out of state.  I need to know if the dates for High School finals has changed and if the last day of school has changed.  I don't see an update on the calendars on the site.  Can you please send me this information ASAP!  I need to plan a trip to find a new home around those dates.

Thank-you,
Carol Miller
 5/2/2009 9:01 AMKristina MichaelsAbout Us on Evergreen Site
I found the school boundaries.
I cannot get them because it is password protected!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
How can I serve the public without the most basic of information?
Where do you keep the public information?
Urgent! Please Respond! Thank you!
5/2/2009
 5/2/2009 8:57 AMKristina MichaelsPublic Relations and Community Service
How do we find the school boundary maps that are kept up current. I have search clark County gis, Evergreen school district and cannot find the boundary maps of the schools.
Please place a link you the front page of the school districts so real estate and appraisers can find the  quickly.
Computer maps are easy to change and we would have a place to help the public. 5/2/2009
Site Update / Add Request
 5/2/2009 8:35 AMKristina Michaels, RealtorIT Guy
How do you find the maps for the schools districts?
Please make it a tab on the left side under the School name and the district names. Put it on the front page so we can find it easily. IT'S SOOOOOOOO HARD TO FIND!!!!!!!!
 5/1/2009 7:48 AMBonnie PoseyTo whom it may concern
As of today a college in Or. has been closed due to Swine Flu. Also, there is a report of someone in WA having that flu. We are worried about our son as he gets sick easily. I need more info on what to do about this situation. This is a serious matter and we were afraid to send him to school today. What should we do? There is no way that a student can stay 6 ft from another studaent as suggested, HELP!  Thank you.
Information Request
 4/29/2009 10:49 PMRegina WhiteRE: John Deeders annoucement regarding possible new school start times
I believe that the 17 schools  new time should read:  school start time 9:25AM, end time 3:35 not 3:25.  The 4 elem schools is 8:40am ending at 2:50.  Elementary Schools are in session 6 hours and 10 minutes not 6 hours
Site Error
 4/25/2009 9:51 PMTom JimenezTo Whom It May Concern
I was trying to find out the email address for Fred Larsen, XC Coach at Mt. View HS. It seems rather difficult to find out general contact info (especially on the Mt View HS homepage).
 4/24/2009 2:58 PMTrina Kuntz
Thank you for posting a picture of our Cheerleading team on the front page of the website!  The picture showing is our Cheer Team, which recently won the WA state competition then the national title.  The caption is regarding our Dance Team, who also won the state competition.
Site Update / Add Request
 4/8/2009 12:02 PMVictoria WhitlowEmail Info.
I'm in running start through camas high and for a project in my tech writing class, I need to analyze a business or company in the field of work that I am interested in. I want to teach so I am trying to get a hold of all of my surrounding school districts. However, there is no email information on the website so I can get a hold of the administrators for questioning and maybe some interviews. It would be easier for me talk to them over email rather than the phone. It would help very much if that was made available to me.
need more info from site
 3/21/2009 4:39 PMJoshuaWeb content/design
Could you make the school calendars available in ical or csv format so that we can import them onto our own?
Site Update / Add Request
 3/19/2009 6:41 PMAnn Franzen
It is comforting to know during these difficult economic times that one schoos district can still afford to advertise on television.
My questions are; Why?  what are the results you are hoping for?
How can you afford to do this in a time when teachers are not receiving cost of living wages, or any other raises, and programs are being cut?  Is you school district faring better than all the others?

I doubt, but hope, I will receive any feedback from you but I feel better expressing my feelings.

Respectfully,
Ann Franzen
(an Oregonian)
 3/19/2009 2:40 PMNorma LaChineCalendar
The calendar on the website shows school ending on June 16.  Hasn't this been changed due to snow days?  Please update the information so it is accurate.  thanks!
 3/18/2009 7:28 PMTamara Degen
I can't use the web based email with Windows Vista.  Any suggestions?
 3/17/2009 11:22 AMDuane DeckerWebmaster
The recorded information for MVHS athletics is very outdated.  The phone number for AD is incorrect.  Was told the latest and greatest is updated on Edline; why not here as well?
 3/16/2009 6:56 PMLynn Rustjoel_lynn@comcast.net
At approximately 7:25 am on 3-16-07 I was driving SB south of NE 28th Street/Burton road on 112th Avenue.  I was meeting a school bus heading NB, who put flashing yellow, and then a red/stop sign out to pick up children.  I stopped.  Bus #57 from the Evergreen school district did not stop and went through the other bus's red lights and stop sign passing me on the right.  Suggest you check out the driver of Bus #57.  I am pretty sure they must also follow the laws.

Comment on Bus Driver/Law
 3/13/2009 8:39 AMdana taylor
I am organizing a 50th high school class reunion, and we are trying to locate Tom Jacobson.  He says he taught school for 30 years in Evergreen School district.  It is Clarkston High school.
I would appreciate any info you can get to me.  If you can reach him, he can email me at this address.  Thank you
 3/12/2009 2:29 PMLinda BrakeDraft budget considerations committee
I can not attend the public meetings to give feedback on the draft budget considerations so I am using this format.  My concern is the proposal to reduce media assistants to .5, especially at the high school level.  As a retired media specialist at Evergreen and Heritage High Schools, I am aware of the essential work these assistants do in the day to day running of the library.  Without their support, the Media Specialist would no longer have time to do staff collaboration, book talks, instruction, etc.  The librarian would be forced to do checking in/out, shelving and other housekeeping duties.  Please reconsider this possible reduction.
draft budget for 09-10
 3/9/2009 4:26 PMDebbie Ponder
I represent Magenta Theater Company of Vancouver, a non-profit family friendly community theater group.  We are looking to procure some used lockers for our facility.  I'm wondering if the district might have some used lockers they would be willing to either donate or sell to our group.

Thank you.

Debbie Ponder
 3/5/2009 6:21 AMscott morris
the school calendars are very difficult to find
 3/3/2009 7:27 AMJacquelyn Keithcalendar/events
Fort Vancouver Regional Library partners with ESD 112 to present weekly Read and Plays at Image, Orchards, and Silver Star Elementary Schools.  Would it be possible to get these included on the events calendar?

2/26/2009 12:59 PMPat KUtkey
There's a typo on the Photo of the Week page:

"Our students really enjoyed the CEREMONEY," said Columbia Valley Principal Jim Fernandez.
Site Error
 2/25/2009 12:27 PMMark Dvaeyfacilities reservations
I feel that it is difficult to locate reservations for facilities. I often check to see is district or outside groups are using our facilities here at Shahala (like the Commons or stage). We used to be able to click on and find a facilities reservation listing by school. I can't seem to find that now. Can you help me with that?
 2/23/2009 9:55 AMZada CottonBudget Committee
I work in EHS as Campus Security and have been closely watching and listening to all of the information concerning cuts. Before even one district staff loses their position we need to address the high costs of keeping SRO's in the high schools. At $100,000 per VPD officer, I do not feel that we get our money's worth out of this program. By cutting the SRO's we can save $343,000, how many staff could we keep for this amount? If and when a school has a need for an officer it only takes a few minutes to get a response. School calls are a high priority for the police departments. Please don't cut the district At-Risk Advocates from the budget, this position is very important to the high schools. Our Advocate is kept busy dealing with issues that keep us in line with the BECCA Bill. Please don't cut this position.
District Budget
 2/21/2009 1:33 PMSean FraserGeneral Info
My name is Sean Fraser and I am a student at Mountain View High School. I am a member of Key Club and I hold an executive position in our Key Club district. I am currently looking for a place to hold executive council meetings (between Key Club presidents in our area's school's) throughout the next year. I need to hold a meeting every month starting in April and continuing until next March. There will be about 15-20 people at each meeting. I was wondering if the school district offices had a facility that could accomodate us, and when it would be availiable. If there is, how would I go about reserving it? Thank you for your assistance, Sean Fraser
 2/11/2009 12:22 PMjeff hansenenet site mgr
Everytime I go to this site, it takes far too much time to find what I'm looking for. The old enet site was much easier to navigate. The new one probably makes sense to the designer but I don't hear too many compliments from my colleagues. There has to be a better template out there... Thanks.
 2/3/2009 9:36 PMAnonymous
To Whom It May Concern, I would like to voice my opinion with regards to the lack of minorities you fail to hire within the Evergreen school district! It is unfortunate that such political engagement is involved for someone of an ethical background to get hired. Many applicants have come through the HR department here at Evergreen that have been underscored and overlooked. I am sure that the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission would perhaps like to further investigate the unfair reviewing of  Evergreen HR hiring process.
Concern
 1/15/2009 5:50 PMbrianPioneer elementary staff
I would like to know about the Obama videos being shown to my 4th grade son. I do not support this person and I would ask you not to force his radical views (or yours) on my child. You claim not to be able to take the time to have a simple Christmas party, but you can take the time to celebrate this. Would you have done this if McCain won? Did you do it for Bush?
 1/7/2009 3:12 PMsindy sands
I am very confused. We used to be able to go to a page with info and how to. now that the site has been changed I can't find it. how do we go to the pages we used to go to under staff instructions.. e.g. how to set up voice mail. I could find nothing even when I went to site map.
finding staff info on the egreen site
 1/6/2009 10:07 AMEmily Meyerassessment center
Over Winter break I received a mailed notice on how to request my 9th grader to take the WASL  prior to 10th grade.  Being new to the public school system , I thought this would be a good idea.
 When I tried to register my daughter, I needed a ten digit ID number- her student ID has 8 digits- where do I get the other two digits?  I have called Mt. View High School twice for help but no one returns my calls- please advise
 1/2/2009 5:35 PMBonnie Dillard
very hard to find anything.  updating is horrible, shouldn't be more than a week old.
 12/30/2008 9:27 AMAustin Shotwell
To Those Concerned About Public Education,
    Once again our legislators wasted time and money when they formed a Task Force that spent 18 months trying figure out how to improve public education. The committee was charged with “refining the state (of Washington) definition of basic education, examining current state spending on education and finding a way to equalize employee pay among school districts, keeping in mind the changing demands on public schools over the past few decades, such as new technology and student diversity.”  The findings do not differ much from the previous studies over the past thirty years and once again were: Pay for teachers reviewed; Define basic education as the schooling needed to meet the new high school graduation requirements as adopted by the state Board and WA College administration.   Increase instructional time at high school level; Decrease class size in K-3; Pay for teacher training outside of the 180 day; Equalizing way districts pay district employees; Set minimum levels of support for special ed, bi-lingual; vocational ed and gifted; Give money to school with low income; Provide for technology, libraries, teacher training.   Nothing new, I have heard these same recommendations over and over but usually there is the comment more accountability on the part of schools and teachers.   Once again there were eight lawmakers, two school district superintendents, a school board member, the Superintendent of Public Instruction, member of the governor’s staff and former legislator.  Note that once again no educators were on that committee.  I do not count superintendents that have not taught at both the elementary and high school levels as educators.  When you did away with the required certification standards for superintendent’s years ago it only added to the destruction of our public schools.  One of my former superintendents some how lost over a million dollars and could not explain where it went.  Instead of being fired he was given a letter of recommendation and sent to another district.
     I was surprised when the Task Force chair, Dan Grimm was so honest when he stated that he “Characterized their report as a fancy gift catalog with a lot of nice things circled but little chance of actually purchasing any of them. “  His next comment, “I’m afraid it will probably gather dust, Grimm said, “That’s a concern I have expressed from the very beginning.”
     My document below was written back in 1990 after spending several years following various legislative committees established to “DEFINE BASIC EDUCATION” as requested by Judge Doran back in the mid 70’s.   Many of us had been asked over the years to testify before these committee’s.  At times we were allowed a few minutes to speak other times we sat for days just listening to College Administrators, CEO’s, Legislators, and other self serving individual that knew nothing about public education explain how they were going to solve all of the problems because they were so successful.   My comments below are taken from training programs we developed for new and prospective school board members.  It has been over 30 years since Judge Doran presented the proposal for the Basic Education Law for the State of Washington asking that legislators define what a student needs to know prior to leaving or graduating form public education.  There was no follow up on any of those committees other then a report by Dr. Chance back in the 80’s stating that none of the committees full filled the original request.
    Since then our legislators, all of them have destroyed public education.  Had they included educators that had experience in curriculum development, program budget planning, and other such courses that were once upon a time taught in our educational programs our education system program would now be defined.  Once a program in a school, school district, or state is defined the educators with training in Program Budget Planning can, within three years present a cost evaluation of those programs down to the penny that includes not only the cost of the operation of the curriculum but staffing costs, power and energy costs, maintenance and custodial costs, etc.   We did it and we could account for every penny spent but only because we knew what our programs were that we taught….and were not constantly changing them.
     Until you get rid of those College Profs, many that have never taught in public schools, and the CEO’s with the big ego’s and start searching for educators that are willing to spend their time defining just what we are to teach in public education the rest is all a waste of time.

Austin Shotwell, 15802 SE 35th St.  Vancouver Wa.   98683    Mickeyshotwell@juno.com

BASIC EDUCATION LAW IN WASHINGTON STATE
BACKGROUND ABOUT THE BASIC EDUCATION LAW IN WASHINGTON STATE
     This is a history lesson you might find interesting that shows how the involvement of government into public education can result in a real mess. 50 years ago, public education in the State of Washington, and thru out the U.S., was having problems with funding.  To solve this dilemma there was an attempt to define public education and what should be taught K-12 and provide full funding in the State of Washington. This took place back in the late 70’s when Superior Court Judge Doran passed the “Basic Education Law”. Prior to this decision, back in the 50’s and 60”s various political committees had been trying to solve the problems of public education and determine what a student really needed to know prior to graduation from high school. An example was the Council of Basic Skills formed in 56. There findings recommended teaching basic intellectual disciplines but did not define what basic intellectual disciplines were.  They stated that the various subjects would vary from time to time and they may be English, math, science, history, language, and arts. Of course most teachers know that within these academic categories there is a very wide variety of educational curriculum that can be taught. The idea and thinking behind these studies were good and something that many educators supported.  The problem was that they did not take into consideration that educators from public education K-12 would not be invited to offer suggestions or recommendations.  The result was millions wasted and a disaster to public education. The political leaders never did determine what a student should know by the time they graduate but did determine what a student needed to continue their education at a college or university.
THE RULING
     In 1976 Superior Court Judge Robert Doran ruled that the Washington State Legislature had to fully fund basic education. This ruling was going to solve the problems by fully funding public education and determine what should be taught.  His decision was based on the state constitutional language:”It is the paramount duty of the state to make ample provision for the education of all children residing within its borders, without distinction or preference on account of race, color, caste or sex”.  The Basic Education Act defined basic education in terms of rather broad learning goals and the amounts of time to be devoted to each.
     So, following this ruling and after much study and lots of wasted time and money on the part of several committees formed by Washington Legislature, certain skills were identified: Students were: (1) To distinguish, interpret and make use of words, numbers and other symbols, including sound, colors, shapes and textures. (2) To organize words and other symbols into acceptable verbal and nonverbal forms of expression, and numbers into there appropriate functions. (3) To perform intellectual functions such as problem solving, decision-making, goal setting, selecting, planning predicting, experimenting, ordering, and evaluating.  (4) To use various muscles necessary for coordinating physical and mental functions. If you are a parent or a teacher and this was presented to you as what should be taught I am sure you would start wondering about the intelligence of those legislative leaders.
     Later these skills were converted into confusing classroom program percentages of instruction devoted to various subjects deemed important to a child’s education.  These percentages varied by grade level.  90 % in grades 1-3, 85% in grades 4-6, 80% in grades 7-8, 55 % in grades 9-12  in basic skills areas of reading/language arts (may include foreign language), mathematics, social studies, science, art, music health and physical education.  In grades 9-12 15% of each offering was to be in work skills and an additional 10% in areas of basic and/or work skills.  What a way to confuse school boards and administrators.
     Some of the first (selected) committees that presented their findings did little research.  Most agreed the major purpose of education is to improve emotional and social development, prepare for citizenship, practice living in a democracy, etc. agreeing that individual subjects just don’t make that much difference.  These purposes were repeated over the years by new committee’s.  Of course there were no improvements and committees blamed the decline in education on others but no one ever did a follow-up to determine if their suggestions were implemented, followed, or successful.  Other problems they identified included too much TV, lack of moral substance, and political crisis.  The committees all seem to agree that to solve the problems we need new testing, relevant courses with re-emphasis on rigid standards, and higher academic standards for teachers.  Each year there was also a stress on more academic science and math.
CONFUSION RESULTED THROUGHOUT PUBLIC EDUCATION
     Teachers, found that the legislative goals and mandates did not meet the needs of their students.  No effort was made to help teachers develop an understanding what it was that legislators wanted. The teachers were faced with the problem to improve education but no money. Legislature had said that basic education was fully funded, which it was not, and they kept adding more and more requirements.  Special education laws changed things by removing students from the classroom and adding to the confusion but then several years later new studies resulted in “Main Streaming” and sent a lot of the students back into the regular class.  English as a second language caused more confusion as did taking time out of the school day for drivers training and a number of other special programs demanded by legislators.  Each change added programs to the school day without adding time or money or making the school day longer. The result was something had to go.
     Mandating program hours for academic subjects resulted in cutting many elective classes.  One of the first to go was the high school study hall, followed by elective programs such as music, drama, art, industrial arts.  Study halls provided students with an hour each day to receive some help with assigned home work, time to go to a library to do research, attend various school activity meetings without cutting classes, and a place to put students that were having a problem in a class. Now students had to be taken from class or meet before or after school.  Drivers training had been taught outside school hours or students used their study hall period to take the class.  More and more academic requirements were added by legislature because every student must be educated for college. It became so obvious there was no leadership in public education from legislator through school board, superintendent, and principal.  Students that required a structured curriculum to succeed were now on there own.  The students that were able to complete their home work assignments in study hall and received professional help with problems were now lost.  Many went from school to work or home to families that could not provide the help they needed.  They were confused, and many started leaving the public schools. Elective programs that were often the only reason some students staying in school were cut, drop out increased.
     Other factors mandated by federal or state laws happened in the 70’s.  Student rights and civil rights laws pertaining to public education were mandated and resulted in thousands of law suites taking money from schools.  Dr. Robert Simonds National Association of Christian Educators formed the (CEE) or Christians for Excellence in Education. The major intent was to take over the schools by placing ‘Born Again’ members on school boards. Make public education look bad and demand funding and greater emphasis on Christian schools, home schooling, and private schools.  This took more money from the schools.  In the past children that were on the streets during school hours were often stopped and questioned as to why they were not in school.  With home schooling and private schools working on different time schedules it was impossible to identify who should be in school or not.  Testing and accountability became the major concern of political leaders for public schools but not private or Christian schools.  Private enterprise took over many of the roles originally done by school staff. This included not only selling curriculum but also taking over contracts for school maintenance, repair, providing food service, operating the buses, etc.  All of these moves took money from the schools adding to the budgets and cutting jobs.  Everyone seemed to forget that the intent of the Basic Education law was to define education for all children and identify what a child should know by the time they leave or graduate from public education. If that had been done educators could provide a working budget for those programs that identified where every penny was spent.  Most administrators were trained in Program Budget Planning.    Drop out increased as student found less and less reason to go to school.  Many students could not afford to continue on to college or had other interests.  More and more teachers left teaching for jobs with less stress and more money.
    Promises by politicians meant nothing.  Funding was never provided for added programs and attempts on the part of teachers to improve educational programs met with failure.   School administrators and school boards were quiet and even their associations refused to take a stand.  Once again the tactic of legislated committees changed blaming the teachers for the poor education.  They stressed that the only way to solve this problem was by improving teacher standards through competency testing to assure they know their subject matter.  Still no attempt was made to identify what it is American children are supposed to know. Successful teachers that had taught for many years found it was more important to school boards and political leaders that their students pass a competency test to prepare them for college rather then know our nations history or about our political system or learn about art or music. Teachers found that praise was only given to those whose students achieved high-test scores so many started teaching to the test with little concern for a good broad based education.   Some schools evaluation of staff was and is based on the high test scores of the students on various tests and not on value of the programs taught to the students.

former teacher/administrator retired....been there done that...but most are not even aware of what our legislators do...many school boards have not idea how to read a budget or that money can be hidden in so many places..such as the contract account...
 12/23/2008 9:02 AMTami EngelmanJohn Deader
Your decision last week were poor ones, when we had no snow you kept them home, when we had snow you sent them.  Maybe you should listen to the weather report in the evenings and call school to start 2 hours later, at least that way at the last minute you can cancel school.  You put my child's safety at risk last week by not taking a look at how some other districts were handling the situation.

As for how many days the children need to be in school, maybe we should cut out the constant half days, and in service days.
 12/22/2008 9:38 PMJustinEvergreen School District Website
I like your website. I think it is very neat. If I could give you a score, I would give you a 7.5 of 10. I currently attend Fisher's Landing Elementary School which is in the Evergreen School District. Thanks!
 12/19/2008 9:41 AMChuck McKeenCarol Fenstermacher
Hi -- was working on my computer with the TV in the background on channel 8, when this voice pierced my hard-working self, and I said "I know that person" and lo and behold I did.  Good job .. you sounded great, almost as if you had the training and experience to be a good, solid newsperson.

You did well!!

Chuck
Feedback re TV news appearance
 12/17/2008 9:40 PMAlexisSchool Closures
I think that you schould include a posting on your website for school closure not just the procedures. If you already have such a thing, please make it easier to find.
 12/17/2008 11:40 AMCora WhitebirdAdministration
The way you guys handled the bomb threat yesterday was the most unorganized thing I have ever went through. My son sat on a cold floor with no food for 4 hours all the staff was doing was yelling at the students, threatening them, had no understanding of what these kids were going through. As adult educators they should have had more empathy for the students, not threatening them because it was loud or they were asking questions on what was going on. I will be at the next board meeting and if my child is ever threatened again in times like this I will sue the district and any teacher, the kids had a right to know what is going on. And to not letting me retrieve my child is called kidnapping.
 12/17/2008 9:59 AMAdelina WildyDirector
The district must do a better job in providing ample notice of school closures. This moring prior to leaving for work I checked the news and it stated that Evergreen issued a 3 hour early release. I did not discover that the district decided to close at the last minute until I was already at work. I remember the same situation occuring a few times last year. Not all parents report to work at 9:00 am. Many of us commute to Portland and leave the house at 6:30 am. We must have enough advance notice to arrange care for our children. Most other districts alert the public of closures the night prior. This is not an unexpected weather storm; it was forcasted for the last couple of days.
You need to do a better job of making sure students are safe and not freezing outside for buses that never show or school doors that are locked!!!!
complaint
 12/15/2008 3:12 AMSteveBad weather
It looks like the local news has completely dropped the Vancouver area from their tv news when it comes to school closures and delays.  Their web sites show everyone from Linn to Battleground and Washougal but not a word from the Vancouver area?

What’s up?  At least put something on your website or report to the news that you’re alive or that you’re keeping an eye on the situation.  Our decision has to be made by 6am if we send kids to school or not.

Steve
Reqiest and Feedback
 12/14/2008 1:03 PMKALEE
kool skool
 12/3/2008 9:31 PMChris Howard
i have gotten very impatent with my bus driver on bus 211 (Evergreen High School), she is constantly 5-10 minets late to my stop (NE 160 and NE Bluegrass dv) and our bus get so school at a time constintly around 7:20, five minuets before class starts, and i would very much like time before class to go to my locker and such.
complaint
 12/3/2008 11:42 AMLola BozovichPosted Numbers on Home Page
I would not find a link to any of the other numbers at harmony.  It would be great to at least have a link that shows numbers like attendance under the links option on the homepage.  It would also be wonderful to have contact info. for the teachers here as well.

If security is a concern don't make certain info. available unless you login to edline.
 12/1/2008 4:03 PMCArol Olsonedline help
This year (not last year) I have a problem with edline.  I can get on edline and see my 3 kids but I cannot view grades without it saying information requested is momentarily unavailable.  Today I had a glimpse of my sons but then could not do it again or see the other kids.   I wait and nothing happens. Please help me know why and how it could flow better.  Thanks   Carol Olson
 12/1/2008 1:42 PMNadine FaberSubstitute Services
My son reset my internet server and I cannot get on the subfinder.  Could you please reset this for me?
reset user and password
 12/1/2008 8:43 AMsonja spruielBurnt Bridge Creek Elementary Website
I searched all through BBC's homepage today trying to locate the phone number for the absence line.  I don't know if I missed it but it would be very helpful to post this number on the school homepage.  Thanks and have a great day.
 11/27/2008 7:51 AMMary Seymour
I have been trying to apply for job number 6180. I keep getting the message- "There is a problem with the page you are trying to reach and it cannot be displayed". The job closes on 12-2 can this be fixed or am I doing somthing wrong? I do have an account already set up and have used it in the past with no problems. Thanks Mary
Site Error
 11/23/2008 10:28 AMSteven AlexanderThe Designer of the Boys BBall Registration
The registration for Boys Bball  is a Joke.  Totally and Completely Worthless.  That you offer a discount for registering online is a Farce.  I thought you people were supposed to be smart.  I could make a better website in my sleep.  Very sorry site, and you should be ashamed of yourselves.
 11/19/2008 5:47 AMjane Wilson
I think it is difficult to read the emergency hotline button.
concern
 11/12/2008 8:31 PMMichele DeShaw
The informational paragraphs about Legacy High School and about iQ Academy contain errors.
Please contact me for more information.
Site Error
 11/11/2008 10:15 AMKaren Iglitzin
I am trying to make contact with someone who I believe is an employee, can you please forward this message to
DENISE RADOW

Thanks much

Karen Iglitzin
 10/30/2008 12:19 PMRainy KnightSub Secretary
I cannot find the available jobs for subs. I followed brochure directions, but se no E-Services on bottom left of screen to continue. Please help!
Rainy
cert. sub services
 10/22/2008 9:59 AMCart Nelsen
Why chnge so often?  It is so hard to find things at this new sight.  We just get used to one then we change again.
 10/14/2008 10:36 AMConnie HennesseyNew Website
I find this new website organization very difficult to navigate. I don't find it very intuitive. I usually end up going to the old website to find what I am looking for ...