Evergreen Public School District
Skip navigation links
Community Ed

Graduation Requirements

All public high school students are required to meet statewide graduation requirements in order to earn a diploma. The goal is that more students will be better prepared to meet 21st-century demands in their working and personal lives.

Within these pages, families, students and educators can learn more about each of the new requirements, including what each requirement is designed to do and how students will be supported.

High School and Beyond Plan

The High School and Beyond Plan gets all students thinking about their future and how to get the most out of high school, so that they’re ready to pursue their adult lives, no matter what direction they plan to take.

Ideally, students write their plan in 8th or 9th grade and then continue to revise it throughout high school to accommodate changing interests or goals. Students should be encouraged to include the following elements in their plan:

  • Their personal story - what experiences, interests and goals are shaping who they are now and who they want to become
  • Their learning style
  • Their goals for high school - what their four years of high school look like, including classes, extracurricular activities, sports, a job, etc.
  • Their goals for immediately after high school - a student’s plan should include the classes needed in preparation for a 2- to 4-year college, vocational or technical school, certificate program or the workforce

Credit Requirements

It is important to remember that students are taking classes to help them prepare for their life after high school. Students planning on going into the military or attending a trade school, certificate program, community college or a four-year public or private university should research the credits needed for entrance into these programs in order to be well prepared for success.



Credits Needed


Minimum requirements for public, four-year colleges and universities**

Recommended courses for highly selective colleges and universities 

English Language Arts


English classes must be taken each year

4 years

4 years





Integrated Algebra/Geometry 3A/3B* *Consult with your counselor for possible equivalent options

3 years*

3-4 years*



Must be lab sciences

 3 years

3-4 years 

Social Studies

3.5 credits

World History (10th Grade) 1.0

US History (11th Grade) 1.0

CWI (12th Grade) 1.0

*Washington State History .5
(May be completed in Middle School)

2 years

3-4 years

Visual or Performing Arts

1 credit

These classes are listed under Art, Fine and Performing

1 year

 2-3 years

Health and Fitness

2 credits

Health .5

Fitness 1.5

One credit may be waived for school sports participation (.5 credit for completed season)

2 years

2 years

College, Career and Technical Education (Occupational Education)

1 credit

Agriculture, Pre-Engineering, Business and Marketing, Family and Consumer Science, Information Technology, Medical Science Careers, Visual Arts, Digital Arts, Manufacturing and Technology.

1 year

2-3 years

World Language

2 credits

Chinese, French, German, Spanish

2 years

3-4 years


6.5 credits

Once a graduation requirement is met, all additional credits in that subject area fall under electives.


22.5 credits

** The Class of 2015 and beyond must complete an online or online hybrid course


Certificates of Academic Achievement & Individual Achievement

State graduation requirements are designed to ensure students have a solid foundation of reading, writing, math and science skills, no matter the path they choose after high school.

To be eligible to graduate in Washington, high school students must: pass specific state exams, earn all required state and local credits, and successfully complete a high school and beyond plan. The state testing requirements are as follows:

  • Classes of 2015 and beyond: Students must pass a state exam in reading and writing, one science end-of-course exam and two math end-of-course exams, state-approved alternatives or assessments for students in special education.

Beginning with the class of 2013, students must earn a Certificate of Academic Achievement or Certificate of Individual Achievement, the latter being for students in special education. Click here to learn more about the CAA/CIA...

In addition to passing state exams, students can meet their assessment graduation requirements by passing state-approved alternatives, or Certificate of Academic Achievement Options. Click here to learn more about CAA Options...

Students who transfer into a public school from out of state or an in-state non-public setting (home school or private school) in 11th or 12th grade can immediately access the CAA options. Click here to learn more about student transfer options...


I just moved to Washington!
What are the guidelines for transfer students? 
Are there other Special Case situations?
Click here for more information


I just moved to Washington!
What are the guidelines for transfer students? 
Are there other Special Case situations?
Click here for more information