Evergreen Public School District

Students in Transition

As obligated by the federal McKinney-Vento Act, Evergreen Public Schools support students who find themselves in housing situations that are short-term, temporary and transitional and students who have become homeless.


Any child or youth, including unaccompanied youth, who lacks a fixed, regular and adequate nighttime residence is considered homeless and McKinney-Vento eligible for assistance and services.  This includes children and youth who are temporarily sharing housing with others due to economic hardship, those who are living in motels, campgrounds, emergency shelters, cars, or other similar settings, those in transitional housing programs, and those awaiting permanent foster care.


Case Manager

Peggy Carlson
2205 NE 138th Avenue
Vancouver, WA 98684

(360) 604-3900 x1662


To remove barriers to education and to provide educational stability and support students in transition are entitled to

  • Maintain attendance at the school of origin or current school for the remainder of the current school year (if this is in the child’s best interest and feasible) or enroll in the neighborhood school where currently residing.
  • Transportation assistance if needed.
  • Free lunch
  • Appropriate support services such as tutoring, special education services, pre-school services and access to higher education
  • Assistance obtaining needed records and documentation, immediate enrollment
  • Assistance with needed supplies

Please notify your child's school if you anticipate that you may lose your permanent housing.  We will work with you to keep your child in their home school, if at all possible, or connect you with another district if needed.  For more information, contact the school counselor or social worker. You may also contact Peggy Carlson, the District Case Manager for Students in Transition, at (360) 604-3900 ext. 1662 or at peggy.carlson@evergreenps.org.

The number for the Clark County Emergency Shelter Hotline is (360) 695-9677. For other resources go to Council for the Homeless or to http://www.211info.org.  


 Summary Link Web Part

School District Resources