Sexual Harassment Discrimination and Civil Rights

What is Sexual Harassment and How Do I Report a Concern? 

Sexual harassment is any unwelcome conduct or communication that is sexual in nature and substantially interferes with a student's educational performance or creates an intimidating or hostile environment. Sexual harassment can also occur when a student is led to believe they must submit to unwelcome sexual conduct or communication to gain something in return, such as a grade or a place on a sports team.

Examples of sexual harassment can include pressuring a person for sexual actions or favors; unwelcome touching of a sexual nature; graphic or written statements of a sexual nature; distributing sexually explicit texts, e-mails, or pictures; making sexual jokes, rumors, or suggestive remarks; and physical violence, including rape and sexual assault. 

Our schools do not discriminate based on sex and prohibit sex discrimination in all of our education programs and employment, as required by Title IX and state law. 

If you believe that you been sexually harassed or sexually assaulted, you can report the incident(s) to any school staff member, or to any of the following designated officials:

Student, or Parent/Guardian:

You can fill out a written complaint here: HIB form if the complaint is a student to student incident.

Your School Compliance Official
The principal (or designee) of your school

Evergreen Public Schools Title IX Coordinator
Telephone: 360-604-4430,

For Student Sexual Harassment information, please review policies and procedures: 

English:  3205 and 3205P

Russian: 3205 and 3205P

Spanish: 3205 and 3205P

For Staff Sexual Harassment Reporting and Responsibilities, please review: 

Policy: 5011 and 5011P

What should my school do about discriminatory and sexual harassment? 

When a school becomes aware of possible discriminatory or sexual harassment, it must investigate and stop the harassment. The school must address any effects the harassment had on the student at school, including eliminating the hostile environment, and make sure that the harassment does not happen again. 

What can I do if I’m concerned about discrimination or harassment? 

Talk to a Coordinator or submit a written complaint. You may contact the following school district staff members to report your concerns, ask questions, or learn more about how to resolve your concerns. 

Concerns about sex discrimination, including sexual harassment: 

Title IX Coordinator: Cale Piland, Director of Athletics/Activities

13413 NE LeRoy Haagen Memorial Drive, Vancouver, WA 98684 - 

PO Box 8910, Vancouver, WA 98668-8910

Telephone: 360-604-4430,

Concerns about discrimination based on gender identity:

Gender-Inclusive Schools Coordinator: Shane Gardner, Director of Safety & Security

13413 NE LeRoy Haagen Memorial Drive, Vancouver, WA 98684 - 

PO Box 8910, Vancouver, WA 98668-8910

Telephone: 360-604-4066,

Concerns about discrimination:

Civil Rights Coordinator: Tracy Thompson, Senior Director of Human Resources

13413 NE LeRoy Haagen Memorial Drive, Vancouver, WA 98684 - 

PO Box 8910, Vancouver, WA 98668-8910

Telephone: 360-604-4014,

Concerns about disability discrimination:

Section 504 Coordinator: Cate Winters, Health Services Manager

13413 NE LeRoy Haagen Memorial Drive, Vancouver, WA 98684 - 

PO Box 8910, Vancouver, WA 98668-8910

Telephone: 360-604-6711,

To submit a written complaint, describe the conduct or incident that may be discriminatory and send it by mail, fax, email, or hand delivery to the school principal, district superintendent, or civil rights coordinator. Submit the complaint as soon as possible for a prompt investigation, and within one year of the conduct or incident. 

What happens after I file a discrimination complaint? 

The Civil Rights Coordinator will give you a copy of the school district’s discrimination complaint procedure. The Civil Rights Coordinator must make sure a prompt and thorough investigation takes place. The investigation must be completed within 30 calendar days unless you agree to a different timeline. If your complaint involves exceptional circumstances that require a longer investigation, the Civil Rights Coordinator will notify you in writing with the anticipated date for their response. 

When the investigation is complete, the school district superintendent or the staff member leading the investigation will send you a written response. This response will include: 

• A summary of the results of the investigation 

• A determination of whether the school district failed to comply with civil rights laws 

• Any corrective measures or remedies needed 

• Notice about how you can appeal the decision 

What are the next steps if I disagree with the outcome? 

If you do not agree with the outcome of your complaint, you may appeal the decision (if it was reported on a HIB form, the directions are on the final letter), and if you filed a complaint in another manner, you can appeal to the Superintendent or Designee and then to the Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI). More information about this process, including important timelines, is included in the district’s Nondiscrimination Procedure (3210P) and Sexual Harassment Procedure (3205P). 

Who else can help with HIB or Discrimination Concerns? 

Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI) 

All reports must start locally at the school or district level. However, OSPI can assist students, families, communities, and school staff with questions about state law, the HIB complaint process, and the discrimination and sexual harassment complaint processes. 

OSPI School Safety Center (For questions about harassment, intimidation, and bullying) 



Phone: 360-725-6068 

OSPI Equity and Civil Rights Office (For questions about discrimination and sexual harassment) • Website:  


Phone: 360-725-6162 

Washington State Governor’s Office of the Education Ombuds (OEO) 

The Washington State Governor’s Office of the Education Ombuds works with families, communities, and schools to address problems together so every student can fully participate and thrive in Washington’s K12 public schools. OEO provides informal conflict resolution tools, coaching, facilitation, and training about family, community engagement, and systems advocacy. • Website:  


Phone: 1-866-297-2597

Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights (OCR) 

The U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights (OCR) enforces federal nondiscrimination laws in public schools, including those that prohibit discrimination based on sex, race, color, national origin, disability, and age. OCR also has a discrimination complaint process. 



Phone: 800-421-3481